Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

You don't say?

Inspired by my 1000-year-old advisor with the stiff upper lip, I am thinking of writing a book called "Talking in Tautologies." This man makes an art of slowly stating the obvious repeatedly. As a result, no one gets offended, no one learns anything about his opinion and no one can really argue with anything he says. A fabulous consequence of this is that the man falls asleep while hetalks. I kid you not.. the man has fallen asleep during his own lectures.
At any rate it can be really frustrating for someone seeking some actual information. I proposed my thesis last year and my thesis timeline (which he suggested) has me graduating in 08 but my departmental funding runs out at the end of this academic year. I just wanted to ask him if he would fund me or if I should teach.. so the man responds
"The departmental funding is given for the expected length of time that the program takes. If this runs out then it means that you have exceeded that length of time."
Wow Professor, you are so smart!
"Normally if a student is making good progress towards their PH.D, they continue to be funded by their advisor or through teaching,"
I'm not asking about Normally, I'm asking about me.
I feel like somewhere in this art of tautology lies a very specific type of torture technique...

Comments:
oh god, how frustrating! so it's still not resolved?
 
I'm assuming this is Shaili. I guess from that I'm supposed to infer that if i make rappid progress on my phd that I will continue to be funded. So its ok.. its just his general condescending nature that I don't super like.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?