Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

Borders 0, Tyra Banks and other nonsense

I was just at my favorite bookstore. Ground ZERO Borders - by this I mean the first Borders ever - right around the corner from my apartment in Ann Arbor.
My uncle has gotten me and Esha[sister] gift certificates for undisclosed amounts.
Knowing his frugal nature we think... $10 ...
I'm going in there thinking I really want to buy, "The Inheritence of Loss", this year's Booker Prize winning, fellow-desi-supporting, serious read. But then, one gets bored of stuffy old Indian novels about colonial-complexes.
That stays on the shelf.
I buy a book called "YOU" a user's manual for your body. I bought an "Owner's manual for the brain once." I loved it.
Then as I go near the checkout counter I see, People Magazine with an airbrushed image of Tyra Banks on the cover. "Do you call this fat?" it says next to Tyra wearing a red bathing suit. I don't really call her fat, but I call her a damn hypocrite!
Why is it that Tyra was completely fine with the shallow people of the world giving her superficial attention for about the last 15 years? Why is she throwing a hissy fit now?
Does she think she got on the cover of Sports Illustrated for her cellulite? Or maybe it was her brains? She was fine with people's obsession with thinness and appearance to the point of making millions of dollars off of it for years, but now that those same people call her "fat" she can't understand it. Come off it! As the biggest proponent of American Models, you need to thank people for noticing how you look.

Comments:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but all this talk by you and Ashlesha about this model show makes me want to download some of the episodes.... I'll let you know if I do.
 
Awesome. That would be my crowning achievement in pop-culture brainwashing!
 
Ugh. Blogger just deleted my marvelous comment. Anyway... welcome back to the world of blogging.

I try reading Desi authors, but I find hat I am inevitably disapointmented.

On the Tyra front, the woman annoys me to no end. However, I think in this case, she isn't complaining all that much. I heard her talk about her weight gain and she was like I am older and jigglier. I kind of liked that. :) Acceptance is good.
 
Well I'm talking about this type of article http://fametastic.co.uk/archive/20070128/4376/tyra-banks-dont-call-me-disgusting-just-because-im-heavier-now/
where she is telling people not to comment on her fatness. I'm saying that she didn't seem to mind the attention on her super-thin appearance before. Now all of a sudden people aren't supposed to notice or say what they feel about it.
I agree with you though that acceptance is good, but whining is not :).
 
This is great info to know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?